Community Needs and Ongoing Programs
Community Needs and Ongoing Programs
- Do you love plants? Then you are perfect for the NC State Extension Master Gardener program. Under the guidance and direction of Extension agents, individuals complete a 40-hour training program, pass an examination, and complete at least a 40-hour internship. The wealth of information you learn is immense and the skill set is rewarding. Visit Become a Volunteer on the NC State Extension website or contact your local N.C. Cooperative Extension Center to learn how you can join the Extension Master Gardener program.
- The Knights of Columbus have continued to cook dinners for Veterans Residential Services every other week since the Spring of 2020. To keep this ministry going, the Knights of Columbus are looking for donations to help offset the cost of the food. If you would like to contribute, please send a check made out to K of C 4460 to St. Therese, 700 Nash St NE, Wilson, NC 27893. If you would like to help prepare and pack meals, please contact Tony at 252-299-0008.
- At Habitat for Humanity, it is believed that everyone deserves a safe, decent, and affordable home. The goal is to work together to build homes and help families succeed in their homeownership journey. Volunteers are the lifeblood of Habitat for Humanity. There is work that continues beyond the construction site. Habitat volunteers are active at the office, they assist the ReStore staff, they serve on committees, and they are engaged in various community revitalization projects. Interested? Contact a local Habitat for Humanity affiliation.
- The United Way of Wilson works across Wilson County to develop and implement strategies that make a difference in the local community. The United Way supports programs, services and initiatives that deliver results in the areas of education, income, and health. An example of the impact…. 72,174 meals have been delivered to senior and disabled citizens in Wilson County. The United Way of Wilson could not do its work without the efforts of our agencies, volunteers, and donors. Check out their website to see how you can make an impact.
- My Sister’s House of North Carolina provides crisis response 24 hours a day, safety planning, emergency shelter and support groups to name a few of the services this organization offers. Financial donations contribute to helping many in desperate need. Access mshnc.org for more details.
- Veterans Residential Services of Wilson strives to provide quality support and services to low-income, homeless, and at-risk veterans and their families. You can help them in their mission by making either a financial or in-kind donation. VRSW is always in need of employment and job training. For more info email Claudia at email@example.com.
- Tar River Piecemakers Quilting Guild of Rocky Mount was founded in 2000 to bring together people who share in the love of quilts and quilting. The guild meets on the second Saturday of each month at 9:00 am at the Arts Center at the Imperial Centre. Visitors are always welcomed.
- The Wilson Botanical Gardens and the Wilson Master Gardeners are asking for VOLUNTEERS to help with pruning, clean up, and planting in the Gardens. Volunteer gardeners can enjoy free water, snacks, plants, and the knowledge that their hard work is helping the Gardens. Check their Facebook page under Events for dates and times.
- A Second Season is a resale boutique from which all its proceeds go to My Sister’s House which supports victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and human trafficking. At the store not only are customers served, but so are victims in their time of need. Check out A Second Season’s Facebook page for weekly sales and pictures of clothing.
- Are you looking for a volunteering opportunity? The American Red Cross needs volunteers. The most needed positions are Blood Donor Ambassador, Blood Transportation Specialist, Disaster Action Team, Shelter Services and Disaster Health Services Team. 90% of the Red Cross workforce are volunteers. Access their website to start your volunteer journey.
- You can always make a difference with the American Red Cross. Not only are blood donations critically important, but your financial gift is needed to help people affected by disasters big and small. Access red cross dot org to learn how you can assist or how you can receive help from the American Red Cross throughout North Carolina.
- The mission of the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Tar River Region is to inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, responsible, and caring citizens. Programs such as Youth of the Year help members with ideals such as good character & citizenship, academic success, and healthy lifestyles. Programs such as I Give 365 give everyone the opportunity to support the Clubs’ effort. With a 100 percent graduation rate and 72 percent increased school attendance, the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Tar River Region show that your investment is more than worthwhile.
- Meals on Wheels of Rocky Mount is committed to serving homebound senior citizens with a hot nutritious meal and providing a caring friendly visit with each meal. Anyone can help this organization by delivering meals once a month, making the holidays brighter for homebound seniors by participating in holiday and special events each year, giving your time and talent as a Board of Directors member, or making a monetary donation.